Monday, November 12, 2012

Work on the Ranch.... Winter Has Arrived

    I spent the day Friday working at the ranch. I layed more rock on the patio which is now a 12x16. Once it is finished we will have a nice 12x40. Stephen keeps trying to change the dimensions but since this is my project it is going to be completed according to my drawings. While I was laying rock Stephen was checking on a spot to build a road for his parents. We are going to help them to build a house up on the hill just above us.
    His parents came out to see where the road would be so Stephen took them up to show them while I finished up the work I was doing on the patio. I then headed up to help put in a culvert. Once we found the perfect spot we got to work. Bruce even did a ton of work on the road. He raked rocks and helped move dirt and before we knew it we had hand built the road to the half way point of where we will put their house. We had to stop because the cold front that was moving in brought a sand storm with it. I was very proud of how hard Bruce and Virginia worked out there. It was nice and cool and that always helps but all of this is helping Bruce feel better and sleep better. He went to the doctor and has lost 9 pounds since he moved here in October. He is getting out more and doing much more. We are planning a trip this month to take them to New Mexico.... trout fishing!
    Last night winter came knocking, letting us know it is time to pull out the sweaters and warm coats. This morning it was only 20 degrees in town and about 17 at our ranch. We had been on an emergency call in Alpine all day so we didn't even have time to get things prepared. We arrived back in town just in time to go by my office so we could drip the water. It was after 11 when we got into bed. I know that may be early to some but I was dead tired from the lack of sleep for a couple nights before and I was sore from all the work I did on the patio and road. Plus we had to get up early to get everything accomplished that we had on our list for today.
    Tonight is supposed to be below freezing again so we went and bought some hay for the dogs. They have insulated igloos but we want to be sure they won't get too cold. Theo has never had hay in his doghouse before so as soon as I put it in he thought it was a new play toy. He climbed inside and started rolling around in it.... keep in mind this is a 180 lb. dog so the entire igloo was trying to flip from side to side. Then he wouldn't come back out so we had to stuff more hay in around him. Crazy dog. I think they will be more comfortable tonight.
     I have to get my work into my editor tomorrow and then I will spend the day trying to get some things set up at my office. I have an ad coming out in the new calendar so I need to have everything ready. Basketball season also started so I have a lot of new things to cover for the paper. I am excited and remember how much I loved playing basketball in high school. Tomorrow night I will be covering the game in Fort Hancock so Stephen and Bruce will probably go fishing. Fort Hancock has a good fishing area so every time I work over there they fish while I work. It is another good way to get Bruce out and about. He is really enjoying doing the things he used to do before he got the cancer in his leg and started to have heart problems. This time when he went to the doctor they said everything was good. His heart is still in rhythm. We are going to keep doing the things on our bucket list and his.

No comments:

Post a Comment