Friday, September 21, 2012

Silver Streamlines Diner

    Stephen had to work in Alpine and we are always looking for great new places to eat. I have always wanted to eat in a railcar and there is a cool looking diner near Lulling that is just that. Every time we went that way we planned to stop but it was always closed so when we saw the one in Alpine we didn't hesitate. It was called Peggy's Diner and there was actually someone named Peggy that worked there. Sometimes you find places named after people but the name is just something the new owner has inherited.
    The railcar in Lulling actually looks like an old caboose but this one was more like an Amtrack.  Once we were inside it was much more spacious than it had seemed. I loved the chrome look and all the reds. It was like a 50's diner. The inside booths reminded me of when I was little and we would go to the Pizza place in Burnet. The booths were chrome with red benches and old radios that you spoke to the waitress on. You placed your order and could then listen to old music through the radio at your table.
    We sat down at a booth and a hopping, happy waitress came over to bring us menus. She was very giggly and made jokes with us while we ordered. Once she brought our tea we sat and looked around the place as we waited for our food. The floors were black and white checked and the walls were covered with old signs that advertised things for nickles or dimes. The music on the radio was old and reminded me of some of the music played on carnival rides when I was little.
    The food arrived and was hot and fresh. I had ordered a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich with two sides. The green beans were amazing. They were extremely tender and had been cooked with bacon. I probably would have been happy just eating a big bowl of them as if they were soup.  I also had mashed potatoes which were smothered with brown gravy. I was not so thrilled with the potatoes because they were disappointingly instant. I also had a salad which wasn't too bad but I did have to pick out a few pieces of brown wilted lettuce. Overall though, the food was pretty good and I was definitely full when I left.
    The prices were reasonable and we payed around $22 which also included the tip. If you have never been in a diner like this you should try the very next one you see. Most of these places have great homestyle food that is cooked when ordered, not the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment